Thursday, April 30, 2009

Philosophy

I've been reading alot about philosophy and lifestyles and it seems to me some people have confused or forgotten some things in their passion to identify themselves and their being. I speak mainly on my thoughts of the Gorean philosophy as I see it. (but we all have opinions, I know :P)

Philosophy is the study of general problems concerning matters such as existence, knowledge, truth, beauty, law, justice, validity, mind, and language.[1][2] Philosophy is distinguished from other ways of addressing these questions (such as mysticism or mythology) by its critical, generally systematic approach and its reliance on reasoned argument.[3] The word is of Greek origin: φιλοσοφία, philosophía, "love of wisdom".[4][5][6] source from wikipedia, granted not a proven definitive source, but finding other sources sums it up here :) .

It is an overall vision of or attitude toward life and the purpose of life. Definition of philosophy of life, according to Webster.

It is not a dictatorship. There is a philosophy to dictatorship, too lol...but that really isn't the point, here. I speak of the Gorean philosophy. I listen to some people and I see they are not using "reasoned wisdom" in their arguments. Granted..."reasoned wisdom" is in the eye of the beholder. Even more reason to *reason* that there are many different aspects and ways to interpret and apply the philosophy to oneself. The concept of a Gorean philosophy (living it as a Gorean, I mean...not a Greek!! lol) has been around for as long as they've been written. What? Since the 60's sometime, I think the first one came out? Since the author of this series, a professor in philosophy does not comment or expound on whatever he intended to instill in the pages to be extracted as a lifestyle, based on philosophy leaves it opened to much argument and opinion as to what Gor exactly means.

As I read peoples thoughts on the matter, it means so very many different things to so many different people. Each right, in his own right, to call it Gorean, if they so deem fit to (imho). If something more uniform is desired, something more rigid, more controlled...then something more structured, with a system of authority, must be put in place to enforce and ensure everyone is living according to one single set of standards and laws. If that is whats wanted, then maybe investigating dictatorship, instead of Goreanism, or dictatorship in the name of Goreanism (Websters and wiki's ) wouldn't be a bad thing afterall.

1 comment:

His kajirah said...

Hi Louve

That's just it a single standard of beliefs and laws.

I'm not sure that will ever come. There's going to be many more years of arguing and not coming to a set standard of rules.

I know more about Gor than many, and others know more about it than me. But I have studied, read the books and so forth.

Rarely does anything like that matter. Well.. the books are a pre requisite, I guess I got that far.

Warmest wishes,